White Waltham Parish
Call us today on 01628-823964
White Waltham Parish Wards
The village of Littlewick Green is located about 3 1/2 miles west of Maidenhead. It is an ancient place dating back to before the Normal Conquest and was originally a clearing in the Great Forest of Windsor. The village is clustered around the Green and has a number of listed buildings dating back to the 15th century. It is divided equally between the Parish of White Waltham to the South and Hurley to the North. The Parish Church of St John The Evangelist dates from the late 19th century and is to the east of the village.
Gilchrist Thomas Village Hall is on the Green and is used by local clubs and societies. The Village cricket team plays on the Green throughout the summer season and has a popular and active youth training section. The Church and the LIttlewick Green Cricket Club provide a number of social events as does the Cricketers Pub.
The Conservation Area Appraisal of Littlewick Green issued by the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead is a useful source of historical and conservation information
White Waltham & Paley Street
The parish church of St. Mary the Virgin, which was originally a Saxon minster, was partially rebuilt in 1869. It still contains some original features including a Norman arch at the entry to the tower and the chancel. The ancient parish stocks and whipping post have been preserved and stand outside the lychgate. The churchyard is a haven for wildlife, with deer regularly seen at dawn and dusk. The churchyard also contains a yew tree reputed to be over 1000 years old.
White Waltham village also has an active cricket club on the village green opposite the Beehive pub.
The area was originally the Heywood estate. Heywood House no longer exists and housing has been built over the area. A lodge for the estate can still be identified on the Waltham Road. Some say the name of the estate was changed to Woodlands Park in order to remove the connection to a particularly famous murder there.